Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Ins and Outs of District 29 From Council Lady Vivian Wilhoite

Community Meeting - Tuesday, June 14, 2011


Location to be announced

There is a request for a proposed Billboard to be erected at the intersection of Bell and Murfreesboro Road. More specifically, it is an electronic billboard. The applicant's request was denied and now the applicant is appealing the denial to the Board of Zoning Appeals. The Board of Zoning will deliberate the applicant's appeal on Thursday, June 16, 2011.

I would not support such a request for the primary reason that this intersection is quite busy and dangerous. I am of the belief that an electronic billboard would be a distraction and could compromise safety to everyone that travels through that area. Nevertheless, I have invited the staff of the Board of Zoning Appeals and the applicant to this meeting to provide specifics and answer questions from the community.

Please attend at 6:00 pm Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at a location that will be announced by tomorrow.

Historic Gran Dale Manor


Look out for date - Community Open House

Very recently, and working with Mr. David and Becky Waynick, owners of the Gran Dale Manor, I represented them at the Planning Commission on May 26, 2011. I spoke to encourage members of the Commission that the Gran Dale request to continue under the Neighborhood Landmark while operating a law office and events hosting location is an excellent contribution to our community. I spoke to the members of the Commission and prior to the hearing, we invited members of the Planning and Historic Commissions to come out and tour this jewel. The Commission also recognized the importances of this historically restored building and not only approved Mr. David and Becky Waynick's request, but approved it by consent.

I cannot say enough how much we appreciate the Waynicks for seeing the vision in that old white house. I am very glad that I did not agree to developers that wanted to do other things at that location. I've always believed that the Gran Dale had so much to offer. Now we will all know thanks to the Waynicks.

Be on the look out for an open house for the community. At that time, we will also show our appreciation to Mr. David and Becky Waynick.


Just in case you missed this from my previous newsletter.....



Why the dirt?
Explanation from an on-site worker

Some of you have contacted me to ask about the big, big piles of dirt at the old Publix location (across from First Tennessee Bank) on Murfreesboro Road. It's dirt for sale! That right, dirt for sale, according to one of the workers on the site. I understand that the giant wall behind the old Publix building was damaged in the May flood and is now being repaired. The repair required some in depth digging out of soil affiliated with the wall and that is the piles that you see. It's a great time to buy some dirt.


Office Hours at First Tennessee Bank


Join me on Saturday, June 18, 2011 from

9-10 am. Since elected in 2003, I have held monthly office hours so that you can personally come and talk with me about issues in and around the district. Come talk to me about your concerns.